The Struggle Continues
I stopped. I took a vacation, a hiatus….I fell off the wagon, I’ve been slackin’, lazin’ and excuse makin’. I haven’t completely stopped my weight loss efforts, but I have not been doing the things that had helped me stay on track. I skipped my weigh-in the last few last weeks. I have exercised only sporadically. And WW Online has not seen a log-in from me in weeks, until today. And the question is….WHY? Why do I set a goal to lose 60 pounds, a goal that I profess to be very serious about, only to let the slightest whim, the smallest discomfort, knock me off the good path I am on?
Over the past several weeks, I have been pondering this, trying to understand why I can’t or won’t stick to my diet. I listened to an interesting Podcast series called “Inside Out Weight Loss” to try and better understand the deep reasons behind my inability to follow a diet for more than a few months. If you’re interested in learning more about this topic, check out www.personallifemedia.com/podcasts/.
I have taken to listening to Inside Out Weight Loss while walking. I was listening to Jane Austin novels, but I have found that Elizabeth Klett’s free Librivox recordings slowed down my pace and I came home from my walks uncontrollably speaking in a British accent for several hours. There are over 200 of the Inside Out Weight Loss podcasts, and I sort of jumped in in the midle, randomly choosing as I search for help. I came across one that really interested me. Renee Stephens, the Inside Out Weight Loss host, was saying that to understand why you eat unhealthy food or don’t exercise, look at your excuses and perhaps you will find your fears. Interesting! I know there are issues with me that are keeping me from having weight loss success, but they aren’t clear. I look at it is a failure, a lack of willpower, a weakness in me that I almost don’t believe I can overcome. I want to understand it more fully. I want to MOVE ON!
So when I think about my excuses for not sticking to my diet plan, her are some of my favorites, in no particular order.
1. I’m STARVING!
2. It won’t hurt to eat this, just today…Tomorrow I will get back on my plan.
3. I am a failure! I can’t do this! I will NEVER lose it, so why not just eat the stuff I want?
4. I need to eat this Valentine’s Day candy to get it out of the house!
5. I am PMSing and need this casserole to comfort myself.
6. I am depressed/anxious/tired/unfocused….
7. I forgot to log my food and I can’t remember what I had today. Hey, might as well blow off the whole thing today and eat whatever I want.
8. I can’t put all this junk that I’ve been eating into my Weight Watchers online food tracker. I’ve gone way over for the day, so I’m just going to bag it.
Ok, I will stop there. There’s way more. So what is this all about? I’m going to try and figure it out. In the meantime, I will give it all I’ve got. Please keep me in your prayers. I need all the help I can get. Thanks!